Four original albumen paper photographs of the Broken Hill region; each photograph is approximately 200 x 225 mm, on the original glossy cream-coloured mounts printed with the photographer's details (G.F. Jenkinson, Areas Photo Coy, Argent Street, Broken Hill)
Jenkinson was active in the region from 1885, according to his advertisement in The History of Broken Hill by Curtis (1908); Davies and Stanbury (1985) have him there from 1889. One of the photographs is captioned in the image '[Sir Hen]ry Parkes at Stephen Creek'. Parkes, Premier of NSW, turned the first sod of the Stephens Creek reservoir in April 1890 and this photograph was clearly taken on the day; he is easily discernible at the front of the crowd, resplendent in his top hat, dress coat and flowing white beard, holding an ornamental shovel (heavily decorated with what is presumably silver). A large marquee in the background, with numerous flags fluttering from it, further sets the scene. The other three photographs are variant views of a construction site at a mine; gentlemen in suits, rather than tradesmen and labourers, are the order of the day, so it may have been a commissioned shoot. However, one view in particular delivers more than it promises, clearly showing a range of basic dwellings (more tents than huts or houses) on the undulations in the background.