Two cabinet card photographs (circa 1890s) of members of the Salvation Army in Brisbane, Queensland
The albumen paper photographs are mounted on cards crediting the photographers. The first one, a studio portrait (148 x 103 mm) depicting two muscular Christians in long-sleeved crew-neck sweaters with 'Salvation Army' embroidered on the front, is by J. Hogg & Co., George St, Brisbane. The second one (150 x 98 mm) shows a group of seven women and two men, most of them in uniform, standing on the front steps of the Salvation Army Barracks at Sandgate Road, Nundah (according to the pencilled caption on the verso). The inkstamp of the Austral Photo Co., Gregory Terrace, Brisbane, is also on the verso. Davies and Stanbury put these studios at these addresses in the years around 1890. The photographs and mounts are a little foxed, and the images are also a little mottled, but overall they are in very good condition.