An album of photographs of the new showroom and workshop areas of Dalgety and Company's Ford dealership in Adelaide, circa 1938
The album (210 x 275 mm) contains 16 original high-gloss gelatin silver photographs (each 155 x 205 mm),
Cloth lightly rubbed; gilt lettering to the front cover dulled; the photographs are uniformly in fine condition.
Two of them show the facade from different directions; the other 14 all feature cars in the various areas of the large sales and service complex. The first photograph is signed in ink on the image 'K. Phillips', and we think it safe to conclude the album is the work of the Adelaide photographer Keith Phillips, working on behalf of 'Woods, Bagot, Laybourne-Smith & Irwin, Architects, Adelaide' (identified on the first blank page in white ink). The State Library of South Australia has an image (B7369) very similar to the signed one in the album. We cannot improve on the State Library's detailed caption: 'The premises of Dalgety and Company's Ford dealership, in the Art Deco style of the day ... [On back of photograph] 'Acres 349 and 350 / Wakefield Street, south side / 7th February 1938 / Dalgety's premises were erected in 1937 / ... The right side of Dalgety's is 51 yards east of Elder Street / Frontage: 70 yards'. The building no longer exists'.