Four original vintage albumen paper photographs of Bungaree Station, near Clare in South Australia
The photographs are mounted on both sides of a large piece of card (447 x 335 mm); each one is set within a thin black ink border with a neat calligraphic title written underneath it. On one side are Bungaree Woolshed (170 x 220 mm) and Bungaree Shearers (157 x 210 mm); on the other side, Bungaree Garden (165 x 220 mm) and Bungaree Buck Board (168 x 222 mm). Apart from a little foxing visible in the sky, the photographs are in fine condition. The blind-stamp of 'Captn Sweet Landscape Photographer Adelaide' can be found in the bottom right-hand corner of Bungaree Shearers if you look hard enough. The State Library of South Australia has an example of the buck-board image with Sweet's negative number 674 scratched into the emulsion. The State Library of Victoria has a group (flock?) of shearers posed in front of the stone building shown in the centre of our woolshed photograph; our blokes are lambing it up in front of a corrugated iron woolshed. Both of these institutions date their images circa 1880. Bungaree station was founded in 1841 by George Hawker; five generations and 174 years later, it is still in family hands.