The Blackwood Magazine. The Official Organ of the B, C and B Club Literary Society. Volume 1, Number 1, January 1914 to Volume 1, Number 12, December 1914 (all published)
[Blackwood, Literary Society of the Blackwood, Coromandel and Belair Club], 1914.
Octavo, 12 issues bound as one volume, 288 pages (24 pages each issue) with a handful of illustrations. The first number has 'Second Edition' printed at the head of the first page. A note on Trove states that 'the only difference identified is on page 5 where a different verse is printed in each edition'; in this one, it is a topical limerick about 'An elderly farmer of Mitcham'.
Original gilt-decorated cloth, containing the twelve separate issues of the drop-title magazine; binding a little worn at the extremities, with the front cover bowed and a little ink-marked; old tape-stains to the endpapers; vertical crease down the middle of most issues where folded before binding; trifling signs of use and age; a very good copy of a rare item, with the ownership details of local pioneer, Frank Chapman of Coromandel Valley, on the front flyleaf.
This elusive journal was 'devoted to the interests of [the Adelaide Hills suburbs] Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Belair, and Eden Hills'. The editorial to what became the final issue commences thus: 'Many a good man has been hung for no fault of his own, and 'The Blackwood Magazine', because the Kaiser has chosen to embroil the world, is to be suspended'.