London, Hudson & Kearns and George Newnes, 1895 to 1898.
Folio, five volumes, on average 350 pages per volume with hundreds of illustrations (mainly from photographs) plus a colour frontispiece in Volumes 2, 3, and 4.
Colour pictorial cloth, all edges gilt; occasional light marks; extremities slightly rubbed, with a little wear to two hinges and two spine ends; inner hinges of Volume 1 a little tender (and Volume 3 less so); minimal foxing; an excellent run of the... Read complete entry
Large oblong quarto, colour pictorial title leaf (verso blank) plus 72 flush-cut full-page photographs (each 350 x 275 mm) mounted back-to back to form 36 gilt-edged leaves with the images bleeding off all edges.
Original full calf gilt (later rebacked and recornered in calf) a little worn; in very good condition (the contents are in excellent order).
The broad coverage of the State comprises captioned images of public buildings (12) and street scenes (8) of Sydney; ports and harbours (6, including 3 of Newcastle); north coast farms (8); mines and other industries (10); timber (7); livestock (8); agriculture (6); and leisure (7). Although the album was issued in 1908, it contains a number of images from much earlier negatives.
Sydney, Sydney Technical College Architectural Club, 1930.
Quarto,  pages with a few vignette illustrations, 5 portraits and 87 illustrations of artwork by the students plus the colophon (printed on the rear pastedown).
Flush-cut plain card covers with the attached overlapping dustwrapper-style covers; wrappers a little marked; recent ownership details on the initial blank; slight marginal cockling to the top right-hand corner of the text; a very good copy.
Hobart, Culinary Historians of Tasmania, 2014 (facsimile edition)/ 1864, and 2014.
Octavo, two volumes, xxxii, 292, xii (advertisements) pages plus 4 colour plates, and 121,  pages with numerous illustrations.
Quarter contrasting gilt-pictorial papered boards; a fine set in the slipcase.
The first Australian cookery book, and a worthy one at that. Edward Abbott (1801-1869), was born in Sydney, but went to live in Hobart in 1815 when his father took up the post of deputy-judge-advocate. Although he was variously a newspaper proprietor, a pastoralist and a politician, it is with this book that he makes his claim to fame. 'Although published pseudonymously ... the book was known to be Abbott's work. It was a gastronomic miscellany of 'the modern cookery of the mother country and the colonies', and of Continental and Hebrew cookery. Recipes included 'kangaroo steamer' and 'slippery bob', a dish of battered kangaroo brains fried in emu fat. In scope and style the book was somewhat idiosyncratic, as in its use of the arcane expression 'aristology' (coined by Thomas Walker in London in 1835 to describe the art of dining) and its extensive selection of 'appropriate quotations and racy extracts'' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). The companion volume contains an interesting collection of essays by Michael Symons, Barbara Santich, Tony Marshall and Sally Wise, among others.
[Sydney, Returned Soldiers' Association] (printed by S.T. Leigh and Company), 1916.
Quarto,  pages with 2 illustrations by Sydney Ure Smith plus text and an illustration on the covers.
Pictorial card covers with a flap on the rear one; minimal light foxing to the text; essentially a fine copy.
'Souvenir, chiefly poetry, produced by Frank Morton for the first anniversary of Anzac day [sic]' (Trove). The two-page introduction, presumably by Morton, is followed by verse contributions by David McKee Wright, Arthur Henry Adams and Morton. The inside rear cover lists RSA officials, the rear flap is printed with the poem 'The Good Deed' by Whittier, the front cover is illustrated by Sydney Ure Smith, and the inside front cover carries an interesting and lengthy note of apology from Frank Morton. 'This souvenir has been produced very hastily. Time did not serve to make it larger, more representative.... There has been no time for much thought or elaboration. With scarce a moment's leisure we have done what we could'.
Octavo, 39 pages plus 31 plates, 3 maps (2 folding) and 19 small portraits on 3 pages.
Flush-cut quarter cloth and papered boards with the title page details repeated on the front panel; cover paper a little foxed and sunned, with minimal surface loss to silverfish at the rear; endpapers lightly foxed; an excellent copy.
Inscribed, dated (March 1915) and signed by the author.
Melbourne, Melbourne University Press, first published between 1966 and 2007 (earlier volumes here are reprints).
Octavo, 19 volumes, with approximately 500-600 pages in each volume (and approximately 300 pages in the Index) plus various corrigenda and addenda leaves loosely inserted in most volumes.
Cloth; a fine set with the fine (royal blue) dustwrappers.
Offered with the two-volume companion set, 'A Biographical Register, 1788-1939. Notes from the Name Index of the Australian Dictionary of Biography', compiled and edited by H.J. Gibbney and Ann G. Smith (Canberra, 1987; octavo, approximately 400 pages per volume; card covers slightly rubbed; an excellent set). The online edition has compromised the price of the printed version, but these sets remain invaluable.
The large format images (185 x 240 mm, on captioned mounts) include many prototypes and non-production models, such as the Bagshot (only this prototype was ever built, and flown a mere three times), the Bullfinch, the Type 138A High Altitude Monoplane, and the Type 143 light airliner. The condition is uniformly fine.
Several photographs that suggest an approximate date clearly show other unique aircraft; one of these is VH-UZX. There were in fact two aircraft registered VH-UZX in Australia. The first one, a DH84 Dragon, crashed at Croydon in the UK on 26 February 1938 before delivery to Australia. The second one, a DH86 Express, was registered in Sydney on 17 July 1940 to W.R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd.; it was impressed by the Commonwealth Government on 27 December 1940. It is clearly in civilian use in this album, making the latter part of 1940 a likely date. Adding weight to this, VH-UZU 'was used on the Adelaide-Whyalla run until late 1939 when it was flown to Perth and used by MacRobertson Miller Airlines on services in Western Australia' (airliners.net). There are seven photographs of aeroplanes (mainly VH-UZU), 76 photographs taken on the ground, and 154 from the air. Identifiable or named places range from the Cairns Golf Links, to the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the Norseman Hotel, but the bulk of the aerial views are interesting landscape features and developed areas in regional Australia. Featured in a few photographs are the passenger and pilot of VH-UZU; on the basis of one of them, we seriously suggest that Captain Horrie Miller himself is the pilot. Another important series includes approximately 85 photographs (generally 65 x 90 mm or the reverse) of mining activities. Some feature large operations, including twelve taken underground, but the best of them depict much more small-scale activity. Captions in pencil on the verso of some images, dated March 1935, identify alluvial diggings and the WMC drill at Yellowdine (approximately 400 kms east of Perth; gold was discovered in the region in 1934). Londonderry, near Coolgardie, is also featured. Conditions depicted are at best basic, at times primitive, and ensure that these images of the early days of the development of a goldfield are nothing less than fascinating. At the beginning of the album there are 88 snapshots (110 x 70 mm or the reverse, printed by 'Q'land Camera Co., Cairns') of tourist attractions in (presumably) the Cairns region.
In 1928, Hugh Raufe Grosvenor (1904-1930) 'became ADC to Sir Alexander Hore Ruthven in South Australia. In 1929 he was the first person to fly solo round Australia in a light plane, a DH Moth with a Cirrus 2 engine' (Edward Wixted: 'The North-West Aerial Frontier, 1919-1934', ). His next venture was an attempt at the Australia-England flight record of 13 days established in June 1929 by Kingsford Smith and Ulm. On Monday 6 January 1930, aged 25, he met his death when the experimental Wackett Widgeon II Amphibian crashed into Port Phillip Bay.
Sydney, Government of New South Wales (for the Technological Museum), 1915.
Large oblong octavo, [ii], 169,  (colophon) pages with over 120 illustrations plus 49 colour plates and a colour map.
Flush-cut quarter cloth and colour pictorial card covers lightly marked and rubbed, with the rear cover slightly creased with a small surface blemish; minimal foxing to the edges and endpapers; an excellent copy.
Department of Public Instruction, Technical Education Branch, Technical Education Series, Number 19.
Edward Stephens (1811-1861) was appointed cashier and accountant of the South Australian Company in 1836; he arrived in the 'Coromandel' on 17 January 1837 at Holdfast Bay. 'There he set up his office in a tent but at first business was slight. He was induced to sign a letter to Governor [Sir] John Hindmarsh asking for a public meeting to reconsider the site of Adelaide. Although in February the meeting decided in favour of Colonel William Light's choice Stephens did not hesitate to buy eight city acres [3.2 ha] when they were auctioned, and later became very friendly with Light. Stephens fell foul of Hindmarsh and was rebuked by George Fife Angas for dabbling in politics' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). In 1840 he became the Adelaide manager of the Bank of South Australia. Charles William Stuart (~1811-1891) arrived in the colony in 1836, and became Acting Police Commissioner during Alexander Tolmer's extended absences on overland gold escort duties in 1852-53. Tolmer's dismissal in November 1853 was in part due to his involvement 'in demeaning disputes with his subordinates', not least Stuart. Frederick William Allen (1813-1850) arrived on the 'Buffalo' and became a publican. Clement Crispe (~1804-1857) arrived in 1837 on the 'John Renwick' and was a butcher and farmer. Robert Champlay was married in Adelaide on 30 January 1840. (Most of the biographical details have come from the 'Biographical Index of South Australians, 1836-1885'). We have not yet traced Harry - there are some intriguing possibilities.
[Cape Town, possibly J.H. Robinson & Co.], circa 1900.
Small octavo, a souvenir printed on card,  pages, all with printed decorative borders, comprising a decorative title-cover, an original gelatin silver photograph (105 x 145 mm), three mounted 'everlasting silver leaves' with printed decorations or messages ('Hearty Greetings' and 'To my Dear Mother'), with the last page designed for personal messages.
Trifling signs of handling; in excellent condition.
The photograph, featuring mainly artillery shells of various sizes (some of them identified), small arms ammunition, and shrapnel (one piece marked '66 Battery'), is signed in the negative 'B.W. Canby'. To say the image is incongruous in a souvenir greeting card specifically designed to be sent to one's mother is putting it mildly! Offered with a similar item: the cover title is the same, albeit gilt-pictorial and printed in gilt with the imprint of J.H. Robinson & Co.; both pages of the centrespread contain mounted leaves (those on the right-hand page have printed decorations or messages, this time 'To A Dear Friend' and 'Remember Me'); the last page is blank.
New York, American Annual of Photography Inc., 1916.
Octavo, xvi (advertisements), 296, xvii-xliv (advertisements) pages with numerous illustrations (from photographs) plus 25 full-page plates and an additional leaf of advertising before page xxxix.
Cloth, lettered in black on the front cover and in gilt on the spine (the title and 'Author's Edition'); all edges gilt; covers slightly rubbed and bumped at the extremities; frontispiece a little silvered out, with its tissue-guard... Read complete entry
Harold Cazneaux (1878-1953) is represented by three full-page images: 'The Outlook [a group of children]' (an illustration on page 219); 'In the Blue Mountains, NSW' (a plate facing page 160); and 'The Bent Trees at Narrabeen' (a plate facing page 288). An unexpected bonus is the ownership signature of Cazneaux's friend and fellow-photographer Cecil Westmoreland Bostock (1884-1939), and a publication date of 1916 on a 1917 Annual could not be more apposite. On 28 November 1916, Bostock, Cazneaux and four others formed the Sydney Camera Circle. Bostock drafted the manifesto, pledging them 'to advance pictorial photography and to show our own Australia in terms of sunlight rather than those of greyness and dismal shadows' (siep.org.au). Ten weeks later, on 14 February 1917, Bostock enlisted; he embarked for France in early August and did not return to Australia until late 1919.
Foolscap folio, 16 pages plus a page of lithographic illustrations (accompanying the Etheridge paper), 4 folding geological maps and a large folding geological section (all in colour).
Salmon-coloured title-wrappers with drop-title contents; minimal stabilisation to the wrappers; light crease down the centre of the entire item; 'University of Adelaide, School of Geology' stamp on the front cover; in excellent condition.... Read complete entry
South Australian Parliamentary Paper Number 127 of 1896; one of only 500 copies. Henry Brown, the South Australian Government Geologist, was in the Northern Territory from early April to early August 1896; this paper contains detailed reports (and maps) for each of his five journeys. Etheridge's four-page contribution is 'No. 9 - The Occurrence of Olenellus in the Northern Territory'.
Apart from the title, the full particulars are 'Fine Art Photograph. N.J. Caire, Photo., Prize Medallist.... Central Depot: No. 11 Royal Arcade, Melbourne. Laboratory and Office: No. 2 Darling Street, South Yarra'. Davies and Stanbury ('The Mechanical Eye in Australia. Photography, 1841-1900') list Caire at the former address from 1880-84, and at the latter from 1885-88, suggesting this image dates from the 1880s. Both the photograph and mount are in fine condition. Nicholas John Caire (1837-1918) was born in Guernsey; his family emigrated to South Australia in 1858 and he began working for Townsend Duryea soon after his arrival in Adelaide. He travelled with his camera through Gippsland in 1865, set up a studio in Adelaide in 1866 and 'moved to the more lucrative Victorian gold-mining towns of Bendigo and Talbot in about 1869 where he specialised in wet-plate scenic views. In 1876 he purchased Thomas Chuck's ... business in the Royal Arcade in Bourke Street, Melbourne, and his view trade flourished'. Not long after this he became 'one of the first photographers to create literary and narrative photographs about the lives of the pioneers' (Dictionary of Australian Artists. Painters, Sketchers, Photographers and Engravers to 1870). Artist and photo-historian Ken Orchard, in an address at the first One River Symposium held at Goolwa in October 2012 ('The Murray River. A Personal View'), stated that 'In the nineteenth century legions of explorers, artists, and photographers captured the river in images, and provide us with vital evidence of the importance of the river in the ongoing formation of our national identity. Gifted views photographer Nicholas Caire has left us with some of the most incomparably poised and memorable photographs of the river'.
London, Printed and Sold by Luke Hinde, 1751 (second edition)/ 1749.
Octavo, x, 326 pages.
Early full calf later rebacked in (lighter) calf with a contrasting title-label; old boards marked, discoloured and a little worn (but inoffensively so); endpapers a little marked (more so the front one), with details of several owners on the front... Read complete entry
Offered with a copy in similar condition of the first edition of a companion volume, 'The Works of that Ancient, Faithful Servant of Jesus Christ, Thomas Chalkley ... containing his Epistles and Other Writings' (London, Luke Hinde, 1751). London-born Thomas Chalkey (1675-1741) 'was probably the most influential quaker minister in America during the eighteenth century. His position seems to have been nearly analogous to that of a modern missionary bishop', making numerous preaching excursions throughout North America, with voyages to Barbados and the West Indies. In later years, 'he chiefly resided at Frankfort, near Philadelphia. In the autumn of 1741 he went to Tortola, one of the Virgin Islands, where he was seized with fever and died after a few days' illness, only one of his twelve children, a girl, surviving him. The narrow escapes he had are very numerous, and in nearly every instance he insinuates that he was saved by a miracle. His Journal, from its quaint simplicity, is still intensely interesting; its popularity among the Friends is shown by its having been reprinted at least a dozen times in England [up to 1842]' (Dictionary of National Biography).
Brookvale, Printcraft Press (for the 2/33rd Battalion Association), 1971.
Octavo, xxii, 528 pages with 46 maps and 3 sketches plus 8 colour maps (5 double-page), 5 sketches or diagrams, 207 plates and endpaper maps.
Cloth heavily rubbed along the bottom edges, and worn through in a few small spots; light tape-stains on the front and rear covers; cancelled reference library stamp on the verso of the title page (with three small 'Not to be lent' stamps on... Read complete entry
The author 'was one of the 34 men left at the end of the war at Balikpapan, Borneo, in 1945, who had served in the unit from formation to the end of hostilities' (from a private aged 17 to a CSM warrant officer).
Johannesburg, Medical School, University of the Witwatersrand, 1958.
Small quarto, [iv], 83-155 pages with a frontispiece portrait and some illustrations and figures.
Limp full leather slightly rubbed; essentially a fine copy.
Queensland-born Raymond Arthur Dart (1893-1988), anatomist and anthropologist, achieved lasting fame soon after his appointment in January 1923 as professor of anatomy, University of the Witwatersrand, in Johannesburg. 'In November 1924 Dart was handed a fossil skull that had recently been discovered at Taungs (later Taung), 100 miles ... north of Kimberley. He extracted the fossil from the hard matrix and found that the skull was that of a child possessing a mixture of apish and human features. The child had held its head on a nearly vertical spinal column; its teeth, especially its little canines, were human-like. Although the brain was small, like that of an ape, its form seemed to be hominoid. Thinking that its blend of traits might characterise the supposed missing link between humans and non-human animals on the old notion of a chain of being, Dart named the species 'Australopithecus africanus' and published his findings in 'Nature' in February 1925. For over twenty years most scholars rejected Dart's claims. Critics asserted that the Taung child was on the wrong continent, was too young at death to make predictions about its likely adult form, and belonged to a geological epoch too recent.... [But in] time more fossilised hominid remains were found in Africa, and Dart's theory was generally accepted. The palaeontologist Robert Broom considered that Dart had made 'one of the greatest discoveries in the world's history'' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). The Festschrift originally appeared in the Medical School's journal The Leech (Volume XXVIII, Numbers 3, 4 and 5, November 1958, the Raymond A. Dart Commemorative Number). This is one of a specially bound edition limited to 100 copies; this is Number 9, and it is signed and dated (9 January 1959) by Professor Dart. Loosely inserted is the 'With the Compliments' slip of the Editorial Board of The Leech. This copy comes from the collection of Professor Andrew Abbie, one of the contributors ('The Original Australians' [pages 120-30, with 12 illustrations from photographs]); his large bookplate is on the front pastedown.
Quarto, [viii] (new material), xii, 214, 126, ; [vi], 2, viii, 184 pages plus 20 plates (5 folding); the page numbers 211-12 are repeated on consecutive leaves with different text, and both the cancellans and cancellandum (Part II, pages 24-25) are reproduced.
Gilt-pictorial cloth, top edge gilt; ownership details on the half-title; a fine copy with the original clear plastic dustwrapper.
Number 153 of only 500 copies. Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802) was a philosopher, botanist, naturalist, and grandfather of Charles Darwin, but it was as a poet, however, that he 'enjoyed his greatest fame in the 1790s' through this poem. The first part 'ranges widely over all branches of science and technology and is backed up by explanatory or digressive notes longer than the [2400-line] verse. Part II ... of 2000 lines, is more playful and concentrates on humanizing the fertilization processes in plants and flowers, though again with many digressions and allusive notes'.
Melbourne, Melbourne University Press, 1988/ 1987.
Quarto, two volumes, liv, 312 and xii, -634 pages with 2 illustrations and 29 maps plus 56 plates (10 in colour).
Cloth with contrasting cloth title-labels; a fine set with the fine slipcase.
'The first comprehensive translation into English of the official narratives of Dumont d'Urville's expeditions to the South Pacific and Antarctica'; not least, an account of his visit in April 1839 to Raffles Bay and the new settlement at Port Essington (33 pages). 'His description of the settlement and his assessment of its chance of success, unbiased by emotional attachment or sanguine hope, provide a useful bench-mark for objective study of early English attempts to settle the Northern Territory' (Northern Territory Dictionary of Biography).
[Adelaide, Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (South Australian Branch), 1893].
Oblong quarto, two volumes: FIRST (general) ALBUM - mounted printed index leaf plus 88 original albumen paper photographs (each plate approximately 132 x 200 mm, mounted one per page on each side of thick card leaves with numbered and printed captions below); SECOND (Aboriginal) ALBUM - mounted printed index leaf plus 36 original albumen paper photographs of Aborigines (each plate approximately 132 x 200 mm, mounted one per page on each side of thick card leaves with numbered and printed captions below
Matching original brown cloth albums ornately captioned in gilt on the front cover; a few leaves in the first album lack small corner pieces, but overall it is in excellent condition; the second album is in fine condition.
Offered with 16 original glass plate negatives exposed on the expedition (each 165 x 215 mm, with manuscript paper captions mounted along the bottom margin), in excellent condition with the original annotated packaging from the expedition. This was the first Australian expedition on which the camera was successfully used. Of the 165 negatives exposed, only these 16 are now known to exist. That any of these most significant yet singularly ephemeral expeditionary artefacts has survived at all is extraordinary. The Elder Expedition was the most ambitious and important of the late nineteenth-century expeditions; indeed, it 'has been described as the strongest and best equipped that has ever set out to explore the interior of Australia' (Kenneth Peake-Jones: A Study of Incompatibles, ). Its stated aim was nothing less than 'that the exploration shall be as complete and exhaustive as possible, so that the information obtained may enable the whole of the blank spaces on the map of Australia be filled up in all important geographical aspects'. Those areas 'may be briefly described as the unexplored and unknown country in South Australia, the Northern Territory, and Western Australia, situated near as well as between the routes of previous Explorers Forrest, Giles, Warburton, and Gosse, within the fifteenth and thirtieth parallels of south latitude, comprising an area of about a million square miles' (Handbook of Instructions ... of the Elder Scientific Exploration Expedition, ). The expedition, led by David Lindsay, was organised by the South Australian Branch of the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, and named after its instigator, Sir Thomas Elder, who provided for its entire cost. Less well known is the expedition's unique place in the history of photography. Dr Frederick John Elliot (1852-1919), the expedition's medical officer, was also 'entrusted with the photographic apparatus to secure views of natural scenery illustrative of the geological and botanical features of the country; also portraits of the natives'. In spite of his proven ability, as evidenced in these albums, Elliot then effectively disappeared from the photographic history books. After spending several years as a medical officer in the Northern Territory and as a ship's surgeon, in 1899 he settled in Donnybrook in Western Australia, where he built up an extensive medical practice. Our research indicates that not more than twenty-five of the general albums were produced, and we have every reason to believe that the Aboriginal album was produced in a much smaller quantity. The Elder Expedition albums in any form are utterly rare on the open market, and we are aware of only three recorded sales (including this copy) of the general album, and one of those comprised merely the second half of it. Known institutional holdings ensure that very few are left to be found. The Aboriginal album is, for all intents and purposes, unique on the open market; indeed, most commentators until recently were ignorant of its very existence. The South Australian Branch of the Society has only an unbound set lacking plate 28; the South Australian Museum now has the Royal Society of South Australia's copy in its possession; other institutional holdings, while few and far between, account for the bulk of the very limited number produced. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time the two Elder Scientific Exploration Expedition albums, Aboriginal and general, have ever been offered for sale as a set. The general album comes from the collection of the South Australian anthropologist and photographer Charles Pearcy Mountford (1890-1976), later presented 'with compliments to my friend and fellow wanderer Harold L. Sheard from C.P. Mountford. Dec. 1938'; Sheard's bookplate, and that of a subsequent owner, Rodney Davidson, are mounted inside the front cover. The Aboriginal album comes from the collection of William Birkinshaw Wilkinson (1854-1927), a long-serving member of the Council of the South Australian Branch of the Royal Geographical Society, a member of the Expedition Sub-Committee and one of the two men responsible for the selection of the images for the albums; his bookplate is mounted inside the front cover. [These notes come from our much longer essay on the albums; a copy of the well-illustrated booklet is available for $15 including postage].
The photographs vary in size: one is 255 x 345 mm; two are approximately 240 x 300 mm each; two are approximately 180 x 285 mm each; and one is 125 x 280 mm. The largest plate is the only one with a printed credit ('Copyright Regd. R.S. Brain, Govt. Printer'); it shows the official opening of the first Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia in May 1901. It is taken from a raised position behind the stage carrying the official party; the members of the first Parliament are clearly visible (and identifiable) in the front rows. Another large plate shows the Royal party driving through the triumphal arch on Prince's Bridge. The other four plates are night-time views of public buildings and structures heavily and superbly illuminated for the festivities. The cloth on the album is slightly flecked and rubbed; the plates are in fine condition, mounted on the rectos of cloth-hinged card album leaves (a little foxed); there is trifling silverfish damage to the rear flyleaf; overall the condition is excellent.
London, Fradelle & Young, Photographers, 283 Regent Street, W., 1900.
A vintage high-gloss gelatin silver photograph (258 x 307 mm) on the original captioned mount, recently remounted and matted with acid-free materials (visible mounted image size approximately 390 x 440 mm). The mount is lightly marked, with minimal... Read complete entry
Given the number of guests at the dinner (a contemporary newspaper account suggests a figure of 700, albeit in two rooms), and the fact that Fradelle & Young 'Specialised in hotel and restaurant group photography of dinners & receptions' (PhotoLondon Database of 19th-Century Photographers), one might expect to find this photograph recorded in collections, if not on the market. Apparently, not so ...
London-born Arthur Gask married a fellow-dentist's daughter in August 1898; they were to have four children. 'He divorced his wife on 19 July 1909 and on 13 September that year married the children's nursemaid Marion' at a London registry office. Gask emigrated to Adelaide in 1920, accompanied by Marion, their two sons, and a daughter of his first marriage. 'He set up practice in rooms on North Terrace where he was among the first in the city to carry out extractions with gas.... [Tall], slim and moustached, he was suave and successful, and enjoyed telling his captive patients 'off-colour' jokes. He was amiable, but eccentric, and made kleptomaniac raids on his local pharmacist. Although he was an agnostic, Gask liked to discuss religion. While waiting for his patients, he began writing crime fiction'. This potted biography should give some inkling that the letters may not be entirely routine. All of them are very personal - books, family, health, sex, drugs, suicide - with the early ones particularly bleak. We leave the details to the lucky purchaser ... Edward Angas Johnson (1873-1951) was an Adelaide medical practitioner, prominent in public health circles; his grandmother was a daughter of George Fife Angas. 'His hobby was collecting curios and historical relics, especially those relating to South Australian history. This remarkable collection and his library were distributed to public institutions before his death' (all biographical details from the Australian Dictionary of Biography). The letters are inserted in a copy of the autobiography of John Bland-Sutton, 'The Story of a Surgeon' (London, 1930), along with letters from other prominent medical friends, namely Frederic Wood Jones, Alan Lendon and Andrew Abbie (all of them critical of Bland-Sutton).
It is the architect's impression of an imposing three-story building, with decorative cast-iron verandahs on all floors on two facades, that appears not to have been constructed - or, at least, not to Thomas Frost's plans. The Grange Hotel, located on the esplanade in the Adelaide bayside suburb, was originally licensed in 1881. What stands there today is presumably the original colonial building, albeit almost hidden from view by later renovations and additions, especially to the ground floor. However, it is a two-story building and would appear to have always been so. Thomas Frost worked for many years as a builder and contractor, and evidence of his work as an architect did not appear until the 1870s. 'In 1878, he was commissioned to design a lecture hall, classrooms and an organ gallery for the Brougham Place church. A manse in Kermode Street, North Adelaide, followed in 1879 as well as, it is believed, extensive additions to the McEwin house, Glen Ewin, at Lower Hermitage' (AHPI / State Heritage Register). 'He designed a large hall for the Hindmarsh Corporation behind their original building in 1880, and what is now the Lutheran Seminary in Jeffcott Street, North Adelaide (formerly Whinham College) which was completed in 1882' (architectsdatabase.unisa.edu.au). However, no connection between Thomas Frost and the Grange Hotel (either built or merely planned) is made by the Jensens in their standard work, 'The Colonial Architecture of South Australia (1980), or on these two sites dedicated specifically to the architectural history of the state. We presume this watercolour is an artistic impression of an unrealised proposal.
Quarto, four volumes, [ii], xviii, 220 pages with illustrations and a map plus 11 pages of plates and a large folding map (650 x 615 mm); [ii], iv, 432 pages with illustrations plus 28 pages of plates (1 folding, 11 in colour) and a corrigenda slip at page 1; [vi], 204 pages with illustrations plus 9 pages of plates (2 folding); and [vi], 200 pages with illustrations plus 20 pages of plates (6 folding, 4 of them in colour).
Original cloth, all edges uncut; cloth slightly rubbed, bumped and flecked; small cancelled library stamp and a six-digit reference number in ink on each title page (but see below); some foxing (confined mainly to the endpapers and adjacent leaves);... Read complete entry
The set was withdrawn from the Public Library of New South Wales; the cancelled stamps are signed by Ida Emily Leeson (1885-1964), the second Mitchell Librarian (from 1932 until [officially] 1946). A pencilled note in each volume indicates the set entered the library on 16 March 1909. It subsequently entered the collection of Professor Andrew Arthur Abbie (1905-1976), anatomist and anthropologist, whose bookplate is on each front pastedown, with the date 'c.1938' written below it. Professor Abbie's annotations in pencil are to be found on nine pages of the fourth volume ('Anthropology'); the most significant of these are the 60 words written in the margins of several pages discussing diseases (pages 127-129). Interesting though this provenance is, let us not forget the books! The purpose of this scientific expedition, sponsored by mining magnate and philanthropist William Austin Horn, and with Charles Winnecke as commander and surveyor, was to examine the MacDonnell Ranges on the not unreasonable premise that 'when the rest of the Continent was submerged the elevated portions of the McDonnell [sic] Range existed as an island, and that consequently older forms of life might be found in the more inaccessible parts'. This in fact proved not to be the case, but the expedition (of some fourteen weeks and 2000 camel miles undertaken between May and August 1894) was an outstanding success. 'It was not the intention ... to explore a new region ... But in the pursuit of natural history the expedition split into independent groups and explored undiscovered areas, thus filling in more of the blank spaces in this vast region' (Feeken, Feeken and Spate: The Discovery and Exploration of Australia, ). 'These volumes constitute one of the most substantial contributions in nineteenth-century Australian exploration [but perhaps more importantly, the expedition is] a landmark in anthropological history because it resulted in [Baldwin] Spencer meeting Frank Gillen' (Mulvaney).
Three Lords Commissioners to the Admiralty have also signed this exemption 'from being impressed into His Majesty's Service': Lord Charles Spencer, Admiral Sir Francis Holburne, and a very young The Honourable Charles Fox (1749-1806). Foolscap folio, printed recto only with manuscript insertions; creased where folded; in excellent condition.
The cloth is very lightly worn at a few corners; the album leaves are slightly cockled; there is minor silverfish damage to the surface of the pastedowns and the two adjacent pages, affecting the top portion of the two photographs mounted on them; for the rest, the condition is excellent. We have handled handcoloured examples of albums of this nature, and these uncoloured plates are much to be preferred.
London, Frederick Westley and A.H. Davis (stereotyped and printed by J.R. and C. Childs), 1836.
Large octavo, [ii], xii, vi, -42, , 1369 pages.
Later half morocco (and endpapers) and early marbled papered boards (the latter slightly rubbed, and a little worn at the extremities); first and last two leaves a little marked (mainly from the leather), with the title leaf lightly thumbed; small... Read complete entry
Hamburg, In Commission bei Perthes & Besser, 1836.
Duodecimo, iv, -24 pages.
As issued (sewn without wrappers, with a blue paper spine); light stains confined mainly to the top margin; slight marginal silverfish damage to three leaves; minor loss to the margin of the top inside corner of the last leaf; a very good copy.
A very rare pamphlet by Pastor August Kavel; the preface is dated 1 March 1836. It was written during 'the bitter church struggle arising from the King of Prussia's attempt in 1817 to enforce unity of Lutherans and Calvinists within his realm' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). Kavel and his congregation sought to emigrate to places where they could practise their faith in freedom; in the year this pamphlet was published, he heard of George Fife Angas and the new colony of South Australia. Contact was made, and the rest is history. Offered with a copy of the most accessible account of the story, written by David Schubert: 'Kavel's People. Their Story of Migration from Prussia to South Australia for the Sake of their Faith, and their Initial Settlement, told mainly from Journals, Letters, and other Documents of the Time' (Adelaide, 1997 [revised edition]). Neither the Australian Dictionary of Biography nor Schubert refer to this pamphlet, we have not located a copy in any Australian institutional collection, and WorldCat lists only three copies.
Foolscap folio, a bifolium, comprising the half-page petition with three neat columns each of fourteen signatures below it; a further twelve signatures on the verso; third page blank; fourth page docketed. Four horizontal folds, with very slight wear to the open ends of the creases; when folded, the docketed portion of the last leaf has been exposed and is a little sunned; overall, the document is in excellent condition.
The Act came into operation on 1 July 1842. It called for Ministers of Religion to be registered, or any marriages they performed would be deemed invalid. Automatically eligible under the Act were 'clergymen of the United Church of England and Ireland and of the Church of Scotland'. Section XXXII stated 'That any minister of religion who shall have been for a period of twelve months in charge of a christian congregation consisting of at least forty householders resident in the province may apply to the Registrar General and the Registrar General on production of certificates signed in duplicate by such forty householders at least stating that the applicant has been for such period of twelve months a minister of religion in charge of such congregation of which they are members shall enter such applicant as an officiating minister within the meaning of this Act in a book to be kept for that purpose and shall file and preserve one of such certificates among the records of this office and shall give public notice thereof in the South Australian Government Gazette'. Offered here for sale is one of the original pair of petitions, being the copy returned to the parishioners in accordance with the strict letter of the Act. That it has survived is one thing (handed down through one of the families). That virtually all of the signatories arrived in South Australia on the 'German First Fleet' is something else again. The story is too well-known to require a detailed account, but briefly, during 'the bitter church struggle arising from the King of Prussia's attempt in 1817 to enforce unity of Lutherans and Calvinists within his realm' (Australian Dictionary of Biography), Pastor August Kavel and his congregation sought to emigrate to places where they could practise their faith in freedom. In 1836, he heard of George Fife Angas and the new colony of South Australia. The upshot was that the 'largest group of devout families that he [Angas] persuaded to emigrate to the new colony were the German Lutherans under Pastor August Kavel. When the Colonization Commission and the [South Australian Company] refused to help, he personally advanced some £8000 to the Germans for their migration. On arrival many of them became tenants on his land at Klemzig' (ADB). They arrived on the 'Prince George', the 'Bengalee', the 'Zebra', and the 'Catharina' between 18 November 1838 and 22 January 1839. The first notice regarding the licensing of ministers under the new Act was dated 25 May 1842, and it appeared in the South Australian Government Gazette Number 229, published the following day. The notice was placed by the Registrar General, none other than Charles Sturt, unhappily cooling his heels in an inferior position on insufficient pay, while preparing 'a grandiose plan for exploring and surveying, within two years, the entire unknown interior of the continent' (ADB) - but that's another story ... When he received the Kavel petitions, he docketed them; on this copy he wrote '1. Certificate of the Householders of the Villages of Klemzig and Handorff [sic] in favor of the Revd. A. Kavel, Lutheran Minister. May 26th 1842' and signed it 'C. Sturt RG'. A more pleasing (and unlikely) group of signatures relating to the foundation of South Australia that one might wish to have materialise after some 170 years is difficult to imagine! Notification that 'the Reverend Augustus Kavel has been entered as an Officiating Minister' appeared in Gazette Number 231 on 9 June 1842.
In 1932, Kingsford Smith was knighted for services to aviation; perhaps this printed note helped him cope with the correspondence it generated. The note is folded across the centre; a partially erased message written lightly in pencil on one half of the blank verso (something about a loaf of bread!!!) is a trifling blemish that helps to keep the item grounded ...
It is a fine head-and-shoulders profile portrait of Kingsford Smith gazing through a window, with his face strongly lit from that direction. It is rubber-stamped on the verso 'Copyright Photograph by 'Sydney Morning Herald''. A quick search online didn't trace it, so we cannot be sure about the date, but 'circa 1930' can't be too far out. It is in fine condition apart from some silvering-out (well clear of the portrait proper).
Octavo, xvi, 215 pages with an illustration on the title page.
Quarter parchment and plain papered boards (with the original paper title-label on the spine), top edge gilt, others uncut; corners heavily worn; spine a little sunned and rubbed, and lightly worn at the head; a very good copy (internally fine). The... Read complete entry
'This edition on handmade paper is limited to 200 copies'.
Octavo, [viii] (advertisements), [iii]-xxiii, , [iv] (advertisements) pages. The  pages are numbered to 102, but eccentrically: 1-90 and 92-3 are two-to-a-page column numbers, pages 91 and 94-102 are single-page numbers.
Original flush-cut red stippled cloth (moderately flecked) with the decorated paper title-label mounted on the front cover; spine renewed with cloth of a similar colour; tiny nicks to the top corner of most of the leaves; an excellent copy.
There is a bookseller's tantalising note pencilled long ago on the flyleaf, offering this item, its companion volumes for 1864 and 1865, and 35 volumes of 'The Turf Register' from 1866-1918, for nine guineas (marked down from twelve guineas). Where the rest of that lot are we cannot say, other than that they were not purchased by any Australian library, as all of them still lack the 1865 volume - and only the State Library of NSW seems to have a copy of this volume.
Quarto (trimmed to 265 x 180 mm), unpaginated but comprising a frontispiece vignette ('Sicilian Cottage'), an engraved title page with a vignette ('Crater of Mount Etna'; verso blank), 60 full-page plates (versos blank), each with a leaf of descriptive text (English on one side, the French translation on the verso) and a tissue-guard, and 3 index pages.
Contemporary full black morocco extensively gilt- and blind-decorated, all edges gilt; leather a little rubbed at the extremities, with minor wear to the corners; minimal foxing and some offsetting (confined mainly to the tissue-guards); an excellent... Read complete entry
William Light (1786-1839), soldier and surveyor, was born in Malaya and spent his childhood in Penang. He served with distinction (and was unharmed) in the Peninsular war. He missed Waterloo, but was severely wounded in a minor Spanish revolution in 1823. In the years before (and after) this, he travelled widely in Europe, and mixed with artistic and literary circles; the material in this book stems from this period. He was appointed the first Surveyor-General of South Australia in February 1836; in December of that year he determined the site of Adelaide, and his plan gave the city its belt of parklands. He died from tuberculosis in October 1839. Edward Angas Johnson (1873-1951) was an Adelaide medical practitioner, prominent in public health circles; his grandmother was a daughter of George Fife Angas. 'His hobby was collecting curios and historical relics, especially those relating to South Australian history. This remarkable collection and his library were distributed to public institutions before his death' (all biographical details are from the Australian Dictionary of Biography).
Small quarto,  pages comprising an introduction by C.E.W. Bean (verso blank) and a catalogue of 77 items, all priced and with detailed titles.
Cord-bound decorated overlapping wrappers with a small sepia-toned plate tipped in on the front cover; front cover lightly marked; one small pencil annotation; essentially a fine copy.
The one-page introduction is by no less a light than C.E.W. Bean. It is worth quoting in full: 'Standing amongst Daryl Lindsay's pictures, one cannot help thinking oneself back - nearly three years in time - amongst the bleak desolation of the Somme, where the duck boards wandered over an almost arctic wilderness through a lonely land till they led you out amongst a people living in a prehistoric world the life of cavemen or of Esquimaux. One turns from that picture of the snow to the warm sunlight on the villages of Grevillers and Vaulx, shattered though they were, into which we came out, after that winter, as to a sort of promised paradise. It did not last long - that relief - but looking on these pictures those same vivid first impressions come streaming back with a strange vividness. It was before the days of our official artists (except Will Dyson) that these sketches were made. Working on a very slender permit, with the resourcefulness of most Australian privates, begging a ride from this lorry driver, coaxing a return journey out of that one, sleeping wherever he could, and working with such materials as he could obtain at the front, Dar. Lindsay compiled in his energy this fine collection. The authorities recognised his work, and his later drawings, as an A.I.F. artist, went to his country'. Daryl Lindsay enlisted as a driver in the Australian Army Service Corps in 1915; he served in France for almost two years and became batman to Will Dyson (his brother-in-law), who encouraged him to make drawings of trench life and portraits of diggers (Australian Dictionary of Biography). A review of the exhibition appeared in 'The Argus' on 19 August 1919; it noted that 'The majority of the sketches, priced at from 3 to 20 guineas, were rapidly sold on the opening day'.
Octavo, xxiv, 676 pages with 175 illustrations plus a colour frontispiece and 6 colour plates.
Gilt-decorated blue cloth, top edge gilt, leading edge uncut; cloth a little marked, flecked, and a little rubbed at the extremities, with minor wear to the corners and the head of the spine; spine sunned; front inner hinge cracked but firm; scattered... Read complete entry
Small oblong quarto, viii, 256 pages with numerous illustrations (after photographs) and period advertisements plus a colour map of Australia and 5 capital city colour street maps.
Colour- and gilt-pictorial cloth lightly marked and rubbed, with trifling wear to the corner tips; one leaf torn and repaired at an early date (effectively but inexpertly, using a few pieces of adhesive stamp selvedge, with two of them over - but not... Read complete entry
Folio, 18 pages (last blank) plus 3 pages of lithographic illustrations and a large folding colour map (557 x 590 mm: 'Geological Sketch Map. Showing route travelled in order to ascertain the approximate boundary of the mesozoic artesian water-bearing strata, in the north-western portion of South Australia').
Original salmon-coloured wrappers, with the full title page details repeated on the front cover; spine lightly chipped; a few tiny closed tears to the leading margin of the last few leaves and the rear cover (the latter with a small chip filled in);... Read complete entry
South Australian Parliamentary Paper Number 71 of 1905; one of only 570 copies. The expedition, from early May to early August 1904, travelled west from Hergott Springs to approximately E longitude 134, then north to Charlotte Waters (with numerous deviations). The expedition commenced with a detour 'to inspect a find of opal ... at Charley's Swamp, about 30 miles southward of Boopeechee Siding.... This is, I believe, the first authentic find of anything really approaching the precious opal in this State'. Etheridge's five-page contribution is 'No. 14 - Cretaceous Fossils from Dalhousie Springs'. The front cover is signed in ink at the head 'C.T. Madigan'. Cecil Thomas Madigan (1889-1947), South Australian-born geologist and explorer, studied mining engineering at the University of Adelaide (BSc, 1910); in 1911 he went as a Rhodes scholar to England, but deferred the appointment when he was selected by Douglas Mawson as meteorologist for the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, 1911-14. After war service and further study and work overseas, he returned in 1922 to the University of Adelaide as lecturer in geology, a post he held until his death. 'A renewed friendship with Mawson, now professor of geology and mineralogy, coloured Madigan's academic career; both were heroic exploration geologists, of striking stature, vigour and personality; keen to succeed scientifically, they divided fields of interest - Madigan's arid central Australia, Mawson's the Antarctic and Precambrian South Australia' (Australian Dictionary of Biography). In our (lengthy) experience, signed Madigan material is very rare.
Octavo, two volumes, [xii], lvi, 415 and [viii], xl, 356 pages.
Early half speckled calf and papered boards a little rubbed; minor wear to some corners and to a small section of the front hinge of the second volume; endpapers offset; minor foxing (confined to the leaves adjacent to the boards); a very good set.... Read complete entry
Both volumes contain the contemporary armorial bookplate of Sir William Forbes of Pitsligo (and much later ownership details are written in ink on the half-titles). Sir William Forbes (1739-1806) was an influential Scottish banker.
[Canberra], 'Prepared by the National Mapping Section, Department of the Interior ... Reproduced by Royal Australian Survey Corps', 1951.
One map on four sheets, printed surface of each sheet 703 x 955 mm (when joined together, the sheets form a map measuring around 5' x 7' in imperial terms); the sheets are numbered 1-4 (left to right, top then bottom), with the publisher's reference 'AHQ / AO-12 / 0221' printed in the left-hand bottom margin.
Four single sheets, as issued; minimal cockling and a few trifling blemishes to some unprinted margins; an excellent set.
The states are printed en bloc in different colours; Tasmania appears on the third sheet as an inset (239 x 239 mm). This very large and detailed map shows 'homesteads, minor settlements, Aboriginal reserves, stock routes, highways, principal and other roads, railways, principal civil aerodromes' (Trove), with relief shown by spot heights. We have recently unearthed a small quantity of these maps. Purchasers of the full set may avail themselves of a special offer on a first-come first-served basis: additional copies of the fourth sheet (the south-eastern portion) may be had for $100 each.